Tales of our tiny family.

Why We’re Not Going Private, Yet

The last two weeks seem to represent a wave of “privatization” going over the amateur family blogosphere. Lots of people have been posting about, and planning to make their personal blogs private. I think it’s a smart thing, and could potentially prevent problems. It’s smart to be cautious about what you put online, and anything that might endanger your family, or prevent you from gainful employment in the future is suspect. Because so many have decided to do this, we figured that we’d look dumb if we kept our blog open. Instead of taking affirmative steps to lock down our blog, I wrote this arduously long list detailing why we’re not going private…yet.

1. We try to avoid posting personal identifying information. We’ve tried to keep last names off the blog, phone numbers, addresses, and even emails are limited. This is not to say that a diligent searcher could not find our blog, but we try to limit the amount of very easily available information.

2. We try to limit discussing politics, religion, dietary habits, and medical views, as well as anything else that might potentially affect our friendship with others or my future employment. I can rant about these things on other pages with limited viewership and/or no identifying information. My blog that I write for my parents doesn’t need those kinds of things. Besides, if you write about a hot political/religious/dietary/medical topic, someone searching for information about that topic may run across your blog, see your view, strongly disagree, and then leave a nasty comment that will make you feel bad for a week.

3. We don’t really care about ex-boy/girlfriends who may stalk us. Come on in, have a look. I’m sure that our life doesn’t seem any more exciting than yours. In fact, because you can see how ordinary our life is, you probably care about us less, rather than more. Heck, if you feel like it leave a comment, we'll probably just feel more special.

4. Weirdos might stalk our family, it’s true. It’s something to worry about, but I’m not overly concerned. First, I feel confident that as the number of these types of family blogs has increased, the signal to noise ratio on the internet has made the odds that you will specifically be targeted lower. Second, even if a weirdo viewed our blog regularly, the odds that this would affect our lives in any meaningful way are lower still. Lastly, the weirdos that might look at your blog are more than likely people that you knew in a past life who are curious about you. As mentioned above, upon learning how tame our life is now, they will probably just get bored. Mystery is more exciting than bland reality.

5. We have lots of family and friends who may visit infrequently. I don’t want to keep an aunt, or second cousin, or long-lost high-school or college friend from having a chance to see what we’re up to. Anytime I run across a private blog, I am reluctant to ask for permission to view the blog, regardless of how well I know that person. I don’t want to bother them. I figure if they wanted me to see their blog, they would have already sent an invite. Private blogs are especially frustrating for people who aren’t regular followers of your blog, and may be uncomfortable asking for an invite. We don’t have huge viewership, but we like to let infrequent guests have a chance to catch up with us.

6. It helps to get more hits to Becky’s photography websites. She runs a blog at http://ravenbergphotography.blogspot.com and a website at http://slcphotobooth.com and we love to drive traffic to these sites so that we show up at a higher spot in the search engines.

There may come a day where something happens that will lead us to make our blog private. Until then, guests, licensees, and trespassers alike—enjoy. Here’s to knowing about our ordinary life.

P.S. This is in no way designed to offend those who have chosen to make their own blogs private. There are a lot of reasons to go private, and I’ve considered it a lot lately, which is precisely why I wrote this post.

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

8 Response to Why We’re Not Going Private, Yet

November 24, 2008 at 8:32 PM

I agree. The reason we are going private is because of #1. Unfortunately I have put WAY too much personal info on my blog and since I post sooo much, it is too difficult to go back and edit out all of the details. It is really sad becuase I like having random old friends/family/others see my blog, but what can you do?

November 25, 2008 at 12:50 PM

You put up a very good argument, Jon. I saw a link to you guys on someone's blog and wanted to say hi! So long as what's going up is carefully chosen, we all should be generally okay. I agree, it's a bummer when you find someone's blog only to realize it's private. But, then, you just move on. Anyway, you guys have a super cute little girl! Thanks for letting me peek into your blog!

November 26, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Well we are with you! Our mundane life is only interesting (sometimes) to our friends and family, and we have nothing to hide!

November 30, 2008 at 3:49 AM

My favorite is when someone you know knows you read their blog goes private and doesn't send you an email... then I'm like... uh... ok.

I agree with you guys. I probably put more personal stuff out there than you do...I might ride the line sometimes, but I deactivate the google search for my stuff, I don't put phone numbers, addresses, social securities, emails, etc out there, and when I have kids, I will probably put nicknames up instead.

November 30, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Thanks Charlotte! I didn't know that you could enable the google bots from searching your blog. Great tip.

December 1, 2008 at 9:03 PM

well said

Jon
December 5, 2008 at 11:59 AM

It's also a good idea to make sure that anonymous comments are not allowed on your blog. That seems to deter the modern form of crank phone calls.

If you are currently allowing anonymous commenting, then change that setting.

People can still make a fake account to send you stuff, but it reduces the chances of problems.

January 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Thanks for your input on this. I've been debating about this for a long time... private or not private? Well, for now I think I will stay not private. I love seeing that people from around the world look at my blog (and like you said, it's not like I'm giving out all our information). Anyway, little Mary is so sweet. Love the Christmas pics. I'm excited you guys have a blog. Watch out! I could be your next blog stalker!